Saturday 24 September 2011

Algarve, Portugal, Saturday 17th September, 2011

Day 7.

The plan is to start the day with a visit inland to Mochique, Foia, the highest peak in the Algarve, fortunately you can drive to the top !
Then to finish the day, back at Quinto de Lago.

Dawn sees us at the Serra de Mochique, half way up to Foia, we stop to explore lanes and tracks looking for 'Crested Tit' !

Blue sky as usual, another hot day coming

Robin, (first one !)
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Jay
Azure-winged Magpie
Grey Wagtail, heard

We move on to the top, Foia,

Dartford Warbler, 4 +
Rufous-tailed Rock Thrush
Willow Warbler
Wren
Stonechat
Northern Wheatear
** Rock Bunting **, another star bird


Rufous-tailed Rock Thrush

Rock Bunting

Rock Bunting

Lots of people arrive, it is a tourist place so we descend to stop halfway down and have early lunch.
Quick lunch, move a bit and stop at the next lay bye to wander down a track that leads through mixed Cork Oak and Pine trees with scrub around.

10 minutes and Kevin 'hears a Crested Tit', a bit of waiting and watching, then we see

Crested Tit, 2         'a big first for me'
Nuthatch


Crested Tit

Crested Tit

It was obvious that we would only get record photos, the Crested Tit stayed high in dense trees, but a 'top tick'.

So we moved on.

After leaving Monchique, we took a detour to the Odelouca Valley, not much seen, not close, we kept moving onto Quinto de Lago again for the last couple of hours of the day. We now know the short cuts and the easy ways !

by and on the golf course

Waxbill, 6 +
Hoopoe
Crested Lark
Weaver, 4

Waxbill

Hoopoe

Hoopoe

The reed bed and scrub had all the usual

Sunset brings close to another day !

Day 1.                32 species seen, 7 new species for me to add to my European list.

Day 2.                34 species seen, 6 new species for me to add to my European list.

Day 3.                28 species seen, 8 new species for me to add to my European list.

Day 4.                  9 species seen, 7 new species for me to add to my European list.

Day 5.                11 species seen, 2 new species for me to add to my European list.

Day 6.                 2 species seen, 0 new species for me to add to my European list.

Day 7.                10 species seen, 4 new species for me to add to my European list.



No comments:

Post a Comment