Sunday 25 September 2011

Algarve, Portugal, Sunday 18th September, 2011

Day 8.     Our Final Day.

It was decided to give the Alentejo Region a second look, it was so good first time !

Again we explored an area between Mertola and Castro Verde, taking the 122 northwards, turning onto the 123, taking all roads, lanes and tracks to every village on the left hand side off this road. 

We turned onto the 123 some 15 minutes after daybreak, first lay by on the right, found us back in the 'raptor' area

first sighting is a big eagle, is it Golden or Spanish Imperial ?

then further sightings of

Booted Eagle, 1
Griffin Vulture
Kestrel, lots
Common Buzzard

Golden or Spanish Imperial Eagle ?

then the big eagle again, photo, later identified by Georg, thanks

Spanish Imperial Eagle, 3rd or 4th year
Spanish Imperial Eagle, 3rd or 4th year

Spanish Imperial Eagle, 3rd or 4th year


Tawny Pipit
Raven, 2

The same tracks and roads were covered as our day 4 trip.
We stopped again in Castro Verde for refreshment, not so grand this time, the bus terminus cafe
Noted from this cafe was a view of a building with about 10 large paintings, poster style, of  local 'Steppe' birds on its wall. Top quality, really did look good.

Back on the grassland area, 16.30 hours, M.S. sees a Sandgrouse !
Scanning the hill, we see 12 Sandgrouse then we see there is 20

Black-bellied Sandgrouse, 20
Tawny Pipit
Crested Lark
Northern Wheatear


Thekla Lark

Northern Wheatear

Black-bellied Sandgrouse


Something different today,

18.00 hours, WE STOP, we put all our gear away, cameras, binoculars, the lot.    FINISH.  Packed in the middle of the grasslands of Alentejo !

M.S. drives to Faro Airport. Return car hire. Baggage booked in. Coffee and a Roll x 3  =  30 Euros. That was more expensive than the 'top class' restaurant we found in Castro Verde, where the patron treated us like kings, with best large steak and salad and at least 10 cups of strong coffee for M.S. and myself and a gallon of water for Kevin  =   25 Euros

22.40 hours flight departs to Gatwick, train, taxi, home in South London at 03.30 hours.

Big Thank you's to

M.S. for all your driving, (1500 miles + and a bit of 'off-roading' !).
M.S. (eyes) and Kevin (ears) for all the 'mentoring', (i need their help, big time !)
Mr. Frederico Morais and wife, thank you for your company on the two Pelagics.

Mr. Georg Schreier, thanks Georg for organizing the Pelagics, also your total enthusiasm which contributed so much to the huge sucsess that we had visiting Portugal
http://algarvebirds.blogspot.com/
http://www.birdwatching-algarve.com/

Alberto and Daniel, skipper and crew, marine biologists.
ECOCEANUS
http://www.ecoceanus.com/a-ecoceanus-observa-aves-marinhas/

Summary of the week

Day 1.                32 species seen, 7 new species for me to add to my European list.

Day 2.                34 species seen, 6 new species for me to add to my European list.

Day 3.                28 species seen, 8 new species for me to add to my European list.

Day 4.                  9 species seen, 7 new species for me to add to my European list.

Day 5.                11 species seen, 2 new species for me to add to my European list.

Day 6.                 2 species seen, 0 new species for me to add to my European list.

Day 7.               10 species seen, 4 new species for me to add to my European list.

Day 8.                1 species seen, 1 new species for me to add to my European list.


Total birds seen by me in Portugal  =  127 SPECIES

35 new bird species new to my European List.

100*  /  100*    for the ALGARVE, PORTUGAL

No comments:

Post a Comment